- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (any color)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 4 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro or oregano (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups broth, any flavor
1. In a large skillet, sauté the onion, bell pepper and garlic in oil until tender, about 3 minutes.
2. Add the lentils, chili powder, cumin and cilantro/oregano (if using). Cook and stir for 1 minute.
3. Add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the lentils are tender, 20 to 30 minutes for brown lentils, Add water if necessary to keep the lentils just covered with liquid.
4. Uncover; cook until mixture thickens and most of the water is gone, 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Use for tacos, wraps or salad.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.